Highlights of the private tour Monumental Marvels - Duomo Museum & Baptistery Tour include:
- Enter the Baptistery with your expert Florence guide
- Hear about Giotto’s Bell Tower and the fascinating stories behind its construction
- See the 3rd largest cathedral in the world, Santa Maria del Fiore and the remains of the old basilica of Santa Reparata beneath (Crypt).
- Visit the phenomenal new Opera del Duomo Museum to understand the architectural wonder of these structures
- Marvel at the model of the incredible cathedral façade built almost to scale, with original statues wonderfully preserved and displayed in situ
- See the original wooden model of Brunelleschi’s Dome created by the master himself to prove the validity of his architectural feat
- Spy the originals of Ghiberti’s glimmering Gates of Paradise
- Discover where Michelangelo carved his masterpiece, the David (now housed in the Accademia)
- See a meticulously detailed altar forged in silver plus works by masters including Donatello and an original Pietà by Michelangelo that the artist smashed in frustration, here painstakingly pieced back together
- You may visit the Museum Terrace to take in views from a unique vantage point and/or climb either Brunelleschi's Dome or Giotto's Bell Tower, or both, within 48 hours.
The finer details of the private Monumental Marvels:
Meeting Point: our office at Via Sassetti, 1.
Unavailable dates: the 1st of May, Christmas & New Year
Includes: Your own private guide, Duomo Complex entry ticket^, guided visit of the Baptistery, the cathedral and crypt and Duomo Museum.
Your own private guide, Duomo Complex entry ticket^, guided visit of the Baptistery, the cathedral and crypt and Duomo Museum.
Not included: Optional gratuities
Start Location: Florence
End Location: Florence
Museum security: Due to increased security, some delays in entry are to be expected. We do in any case offer the quickest possibly entry. Backpacks, large bags, 'selfie-sticks' and long umbrellas are not permitted in all locations. It is not always possible to check them in so please carry as little as possible.
Weather: runs rain or shine
How long are lines for the duomo in Florence?
Due to new security measures at the Duomo, all visitors must go through a metal detector for security check. Being a new system, there is only one entry and limited security personnel, as such the lines can be quite long. In case of very long
What is appropriate for tipping in Italy?
In Italy, tipping is not as common in restaurants as it is in North America. You will sometimes see on your bill that a “coperto” or service fee is already included...
Read all FAQs