Ancient Roman Life & the Ostia Antica Tour
Enjoy a personalised exploration of Ostia.
During its glory days, the seaside town of Ostia was the capital’s primary naval base and a major commercial port.
Abandoned for centuries
However, abandoned for centuries, it wasn’t until 19th-century excavations uncovered some of the best preserved ruins of the ancient world, which we can visit today in this picturesque and historic Italian town.
Highlights of the Private Ancient Roman Life & Ostia Antica Tour include:
- Walk along the town’s two main streets with an expert guide
- Explore the remains of shops and trading offices
- See mosaic tiling, the Roman Baths of Neptune and a fascinating 20-hole public latrine across the way
- Visit the House of Diana, the best preserved private residence in Ostia
- Stop at a café with serving counter and shelving still intact
- At the top end of town, discover Ostia’s monumental Imperial Forum
- Visit the Capitolium, a grand temple from A.D. 120
- Have a final stop at the Ostia Museum for a delightful look at some of Ostia’s finest statuary
- Also see Ostia Antica, Necropolis, Republican Warehouses, Square of the Guilds, Theatre and Insula of the Thermopolium