Filippo BRUNELLESCHI (Florence, 1377-1446) was an able goldsmith and sculptor who ushered in the Renaissance in painting—by developing the technique of single-point perspective in drawing—and in architecture—by uniting as no one had before the conception and execution of whole buildings ex novo.
Brunelleschi first came to notice in 1401 when he tied for first place with Lorenzo Ghiberti for the commission to make doors for the Baptistery.
A trip to Rome (in 1402) in the company of Donatello sparked his interest in perspective and in architecture. He started working on the Duomo building site in 1409 and from 1418 to 1438 conceived and then executed the construction of the dome of the cathedral with an entirely innovative technique and tools he designed for that purpose.
He also executed an outdoor loggia for the Ospedale degli Innocenti (1421-24), he planned the re-building of the church of San Lorenzo (completed after his death) including the Old Sacristy (1428), and a Chapel for the Pazzi family at Santa Croce (1430) both of which have a central plan topped by a dome.
Lastly. he designs the church of Santo Spirito (c. 1426).
Each of his buildings displays his concern for proportion and harmony. At his death Brunelleschi was buried in the Duomo.
The memory of this was lost for centuries until his tomb was rediscovered n 1972.